Claire's Mission in Armenia: It's a good thing I hadn't given my Hunters away yet..."

Dearest dear ones, 

As I am sure you already know, those of you who attentively watch the weather here in Yerevan, we have had a very unexpected snow storm, though according to our taxi driver, because it happened 30 years ago, we should have been expecting it. 

It all started on the day of H's baptism. That day, and really all of last weekend, has really been one of the most memorable and special of my entire mission. On Saturday, we awoke to a crazy rain storm, thunder, lightening, hail, the whole works. But sweet H was not flustered in the slightest. We got in a taxi and off we went. The baptism was perfect, full of happy tears and Spirit-inviting testimonies. She is really the most amazing woman I have ever met and I just can't wait to tell you endless stories about her. So the baptism day itself was enough of  storm, but Sunday, the day she was supposed to receive the Holy Ghost, it was a blizzard. I am not kidding. We awoke to a completely white-out blizzard, crazy snowstorm. Well, we knew we had to get to church some how. So we pulled out the boots and coats we thought we had put away for good, and we put on our hats and gloves and out we went. We trurged to the main road by our house, hoping to be able to stop a taxi to take us to church, but no one would stop! We were desperate and the snow just started getting higher and higher. Then to our suprise, there was a taxi that stopped about 10 yards from us. We ran to it and as we were approaching, the person in the front seat popped her head out of the door and there was H! She was all bundled up in her fur coat and hat and her husband, a taxi driver, was there with the backseat open just for us! We piled in and were utterly relieved. We arrived at church only to find that the power was off, so we huddled, the 30 saints that braved the storm to come, into the Elder's quorum room and had church there. H received the Holy Ghost and I think it will be one of the most memorable church experiences of my life. 

Anyways. That was sunday. Satan sure tried to stop H from being baptized and confirmed but once again the Lord was victorious! Hallelujah. 

Well the rest of the week sort of pales in comparison to the excitement of the weekend, but it was a good week to be sure. We went to Gyumri this week for exchanges. Boy, it was weird. I hadn't been back since my training and yet as soon as I got there, it was like I had never left. Everything was just so familiar. the sights, the smells, the people. We even were able to see a former investigator of mine who had recently been baptized!! So great! luckily this was all before the huge storm and really it was quite warm. As good as it was to be there, I missed Yerevan and was very excited to come back. Oh how I love this city. Perhaps its not much to look at, with all of the grey Soviet-era buildings, but it has its beauties and I think it is because it is here that have really come to know my Savior and my Heavenly Father and really come into the person that I am in the process of becoming that this city has gained such a big place in my heart. 

I could go on and on about the miracles that I am seeing right now, but I think the biggest one is the gift that the Lord is giving me each and every moment of every day. That I get to be here, in this little obscure corner of the world where there are people to love and people to serve. I love it. I love this work and I know that it is true. 

Well friends, the inevitable is nearly here. I can hardly believe it. Don't worry, I will be here next week and then I will say my formal goodbye to all of you who have so faithfully supported me along this, the most amazing 18 months of my life so far. I can hardly believe it's nearly gone. 

Have a wonderful week! I know I will! 

Sincerely, 

Sister Claire Margaret Haynie

Comments

Popular Posts